West Coast Retina Medical Group
1445 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Undergraduate: University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA: 2004-2008
Medical School: University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL: 2008-2012
Internship: Alameda County Medical Center, Oakland, CA: 7/2012 -6/2013
Residency: University of Illinois Chicago, Illinois Eye & Ear Infirmary, Chicago, IL: 7/2013-6/2016
Fellowship: California Pacific Medical Center, West Coast Retina Medical Group: 2016-2017
Licensure and Board Certification
American Board of Ophthalmology eligible
St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
Member, American Society of Retinal Specialists, 2017-present
Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2012-present
Honors and Awards
University of Illinois – Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary (2012 – 2016)
Ophthalmology Co-Chief Resident for Academic Year 2015 – 2016
- Selected by faculty committee
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Residents Retreat Nominee- 9/2015
- One of 35 residents selected for academic potential to attend annual retreat
- Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness (ISPB) Research Grant- 05/2015
- James A. McKechnie Excellence Award – ISPB- 05/2015
- For relevance, clarity of thesis, and quality of writing of grant proposal
University of Chicago (2008 – 2012)
Department of Ophthalmology Senior Medical Student Award-06/2012
- For excellence in ophthalmology during medical school
Charles B. Huggins Symposium – Student Award for Clinical Research-09/2010
- Department of Surgery’s annual research symposium – highest clinical research award
Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness Research Grant-05/2009
- Research grant for translational research (see Wang et al citation below)
Pritzker School of Medicine Dean’s Promise Scholarship 07/2008
- Full tuition merit-based scholarship for 4 years of medical school
University of Southern California (2004 – 2008)
Graduated Summa Cum Laude-05/2008
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention - Bachelor of Science degree
Dean’s List for all 8 attended semesters-05/2008
- For undergraduates who maintain GPA > 3.5
University of Southern California Undergraduate Research Award -2005-2008
- Research grant for to pay work-study salary, received 3 consecutive years
- Chen JJ, Kalevar A, Jumper JM. Combing external needle drainage and scleral buckling with vitrectomy for the repair of bullous retinal detachments. Retina. Accepted for publication.
- Chen JJ, Kalevar A, Vora RA, Qian Y, Gorenberg PH, Garcia-Kennedy R, Cunningham ET. Transthyretin V30M familial amyloidosis presenting as isolated retinal angiography. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. Accepted for publication.
- Reddy M, Chen JJ, Kalevar A, Terribilini R, Agarwal A. Autoimmune retinopathy associated with Nivolumab for metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. Accepted for publication.
- Kalevar A, Chen JJ, Fu AD. Autosomal recessive bestrophinopathy: multimodal imaging update. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. Accepted for publication.
- Slean GR, Kalevar A, Chen JJ, Johnson RN. Enlargement of sclerochoroidal calcifications: multi-modal imaging update. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. Accepted for publication.
- Feinstein E, Chen J, Setabutr P. Recent onset of bilateral ptosis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135(4):397-398.
- Chen J, Leiderman Y, Traish A. Traumatic cataract and heterochromia iridis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016;132(11):1323-1324.
- Chen JJ, Sartori J, Aakalu VK, Setabutr P. Review of ocular manifestations of Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome – What an ophthalmologist needs to know. Mid East Afr J Ophthal. 2015;22:421-7.
- Mohammad F, Wanek J, Zelkha R, Lim JI, Chen J, Shahidi M. A method for en face OCT imaging of subretinal fluid in age-related macular degeneration. J Ophthalmol. 2014 Oct; 2014: 720243.
- Wang AL, Rao VR, Chen JJ, Lussier YA, Rehman J, Huang Y, Jager RD, Grassi MA. Role of FAM18B in diabetic retinopathy. Mol Vis. 2014 Aug 4; 20: 1146-59.
- Chen JJ, Vora RA, Arrigg P, Duker JS. Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges: spontaneous suprachoroidal hemorrhage in a patient with no risk factors. Retina. 2013 Jun; 33(6): 1273-8.
- Aliaga L, Yassari R, Straus D, Hekman K, Luther A, Chen JJ, Sampat A, Frim DM. A novel scoring system for assessing Chiari Malformation Type I treatment outcomes. Neurosurgery. 2012 Mar; 70(3): 656-64.
- Hekman K, Aliaga L, Straus D, Luther A, Chen JJ, Sampat A, Frim D. Positive and negative predictors for good outcome after decompressive surgery for Chiari Malformation Type I as scored on the Chicago Chiari Outcome Scale. Neurol Res. 2012 Sep; 34(7): 694-700.
- Lin J, Wong CS, Ko S, Chan S, Chen JJ, Chen T. Successful treatment of primary dysmenorrhea by collateral meridian acupressure therapy – a time series case report. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2010 Jan; 33(1): 70-5.
- Castillo DC, Mathur M, Vander Wall K, Chen JJ, Verma R, Landolph JR. Higher uptake, cytotoxicity, and cell transforming ability of nickel sufbsulfide compared to nickel sulfate in C3H/10T1/2 mouse embryo cells. The Toxicologist (Supplement to Toxicological Sciences). 403(1955); 2007.
- Freund KB, Sarraf D, Mieler WF, Yannuzzi LA. The Retinal Atlas, 2nd ed. Elsevier, 2017. Contributing author to chapters 11 and 12
- Chen JJ, Cunningham ET. (2017) Bilateral retinal vasculitis. Pacific Retina Club 2017: Los Angeles, CA
- Chen JJ, McDonald HR. (2017). Central serous chorioretinopathy: clinical spectrum and advances in multimodal imaging. Retina Update 2017: Berkeley, CA.
- Chen JJ, Cunningham ET. (2017) Amyloidosis presenting as retinal vasculitis. American Uveitis Society 2017 Winter Symposium: Park City, UT.
- Chen JJ, Aakalu VK, Setabutr P. (2015) Analysis of lacrimal gland lesions. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS) 2015 Annual Fall Scientific Symposium: Las Vegas, NV.
- Chen JJ, Eulo V, Huang Y, Rehman J, Hariprasad SM, Jager RD, Sheth V, Chiranand P, Mojica G, Nicolae DL, Lussier YA, Grassi MA. (2010) Study of genetic expression in diabetic retinopathy reveals unique molecular fingerprint. University of Chicago Department of Surgery: Huggins Symposium; Chicago, IL.
- Chen JJ, Kalevar A, Cunningham ET, Johnson RN. (2017) Multimodal imaging of pale, indolent, slowly progressive choroidal lesions – an expanded clinical spectrum. American Society of Retina Specialists 2017 Annual Meeting; Boston, MA.
- Chen JJ, Aakalu VA, Setabutr P. (2015) Prevalence of the histopathologic etiologies of lacrimal gland lesions. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2015 Annual Meeting; Denver, CO.
- Chen JJ, Miller R, Wanek J, Zelkha R, Lim J, Shahidi M. (2014) Effect of anti-VEGF treatment on macular RNFL thickness in AMD. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2014 Annual Meeting; Orlando, FL.
- Chen JJ, Eulo V, Huang Y, Rehman J, Hariprasad SM, Jager RD, Sheth V, Nicolae DL, Lussier YA, Grassi MA. (2010) Study of genetic expression in diabetic retinopathy reveals unique molecular fingerprint. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2010 Annual Meeting; Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Chen JJ, Sampat A, Aliaga L, Hekman K, Luther A, Straus D, Frim DM. (2010) Pediatric and adult Chiari Syndrome: one disease or two? American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting; Philadelphia, PA.
- Chen JJ, Kauffman S, and Lopez D. (2007) The relationship between alcohol, caffeine, and peer pressure in college students. Western Psychological Association’s 87th Annual Convention; Vancouver, Canada.